Roanoke, VA / Charlotte, NC
DiGioia Gray is searching for a Physical Substation Designer in our Roanoke, VA or Charlotte, NC offices. This experienced designer will be responsible for the physical design of high voltage substation projects through 500kV.
- Design and execution of high-voltage substations projects in the 34.5kV - 500kV range with an emphasis on project safety, cost, quality, and reliability.
- Generate designs and detailed engineering deliverables working under the supervision of lead engineer
- Detail physical aspects of the engineering design such as general arrangement, elevation, grounding and conduit drawings.
- Complete basic engineering calculations related to engineering deliverables.
- Follow specific instructions of supervisor or engineers to perform the more complex design assignments requiring application of standard design principles and practices.
- Use standard CAD tools to create drawings and related deliverables.
- Expertise in the use of computer-aided drafting tools such as AutoCAD or MicroStation.
- Thorough knowledge of the following codes, National Electrical Safety Code (NESC), National Electrical Code (NEC), Institute for Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE), American National Standards Institute (ANSI), and Design Guide for Rural Substations.
- Ability to review and coordinate vendor submittals to ensure compliance with design parameters.
- Thorough knowledge of substation phase spacing and electrical clearance requirements for live conductors, switch components, and bus supports.
- Ability to develop and review a complete set of construction documents (layouts, elevations, details, grounding plans and details, trench and conduit plans and details, single line diagrams, etc.) based upon project/client specification with little or no supervision.
- Ability to create control enclosure layout, cable tray layout and details, and conduit drawings.
- Knowledge of substation voltages, MV, HV, EHV.
- Ability to develop and design substation duct bank.
- Ability to interpret engineering calculations and studies and apply same to design requirements.
- Ability to apply project schedules to complete tasks in a timely manner and within project budget.
- Thorough knowledge of substation structures and equipment including connectors, insulators, switches, and all types of conductors and how they interconnect.
- Knowledge in substation construction and/or commissioning techniques and industry standards.
- Travel to job sites for job assessment and data gathering as needed. Return to the office with sufficient field notes to complete project design.
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
- Proficiency to sketch single line diagrams, layouts, general arrangements, conduit plans, trench plans, grounding plans and other design documents with little or no oversight.
- Ability to review project documents and recommend value engineering ideas.
- Perform detailed calculations to compute and establish manufacturing, construction, and installation standards and specifications.
- Inspect completed installations and observe operations, to ensure conformance to design and equipment specifications and compliance with operational and safety standards.
- Oversee project production efforts to assure projects are completed satisfactorily, on time and within budget.
- Prepare and study technical drawings and specifications of electrical systems, to ensure that installation and operations conform to standards and customer requirements.
Required: Associates degree in Electrical Engineering or related field. Knowledge and ability to utilize computer-aided drafting including AutoCAD & MicroStation.
- 5 to 10 years of relevant substation or general electrical T&D designing experience.
- Experience in the energy industry or a consulting services environment.
Why Choose DiGioia Gray?
DiGioia Gray offers excellent compensation and benefits including Medical, Dental, Vision, 401(k) plan with matching contributions, Life, Short and Long-Term Disability, Paid Time Off, and Paid Holidays are offered with this position.
DiGioia Gray was founded by Anthony M. DiGioia Jr. and Richard (Dick) E. Gray, who are widely regarded as the “go-to” experts in the industry through decades of providing innovative project solutions on time and within budget.
DiGioia Gray’s founding principles emphasize quality work, client service, reliability, respect and integrity -- values that are central to the company’s business philosophy. These values, along with the objective to meet schedules and commitments and an ability to provide innovative solutions to the most difficult challenges, have earned DiGioia Gray a reputation for excellence.
The commitment to these values has enabled DiGioia Gray to win numerous awards, including ASCE Pittsburgh Section’s “Employer of the Year” Award.
DiGioia Gray provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, DiGioia Gray complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
DiGioia Gray expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of DiGioia Gray’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
Please send your resume and cover letter in strict confidence to:
570 Beatty Road
Monroeville, PA 15146